chocolate covered matzah and matzo ball soup: traditional jewish-American Roots // Gabriella Gricius
Chocolate Covered Matzah
4-6 sheets of matzo (depending on how much space you have on your baking sheet)
1 1/2 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar (I know it seems excessive and it is… but it’s also delicious)
14 oz Semi sweet chocolate
14 oz milk chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 400F, cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil
2. Lay the baking sheet with matzo – as much as you can!!
3. Melt the butter and sugar together on the stovetop – and spread it on top of the matzo
4. Pop it in the oven for 3 minutes, take it out and break the chocolate evenly over all the matzo
5. Watch the chocolate melt and add your own creativity to the mix. Crumble oreos, almonds, sea salt, or even some cayenne pepper!
Matzo Ball Soup
1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
2 large onions, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
6 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
6 tbsp dill
salt and pepper
1 Manischewitz Matzo Ball & Soup Mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Here, there’s a slight dispute in my family about what’s best. Do you keep the extra vegetables and chicken in the soup? I personally like my matzo ball soup with vegetables and chicken, but others prefer to take them out and use them for other recipes and keep matzo ball soup pure and delicious. Either way, it’ll be delicious, so what are you waiting for? Go out and make a batch!